Monday, May 31, 2010

A weekend to remember

So memorial day is about thanking and remembering our service men and women, past and present, but it also usually means lots of family time for most of us, enjoying that freedom so many others have selflessly secured for us.   Thank you to all those that make it possible!!!!

We had a fabulous 3 days together this weekend.   With starting a new job in January, it's been a while since i had any extra time off.   Having just one extra day was heavenly! 

Saturday was spent enjoying lots of family and old friends as we celebrated my grandpa's 90th birthday, yep, i said 90th!   Although he is struggling through Alzheimer's, grandpa is still in fairly good health and I think he enjoyed his party.  

On Sunday we headed to the Fort Worth zoo, rated as one of the top 5 in the country.   We got there at opening and headed in, knowing it would be a hot day!   William was very excited to see "raffes" and "zezas".    We rode the choo choo train and checked out all the animals.   All in all a good time, but very hot.  
William really likes the turtles!   They had a huge galapagos one that seemed to be trying to get out of its area!

We finished off the day with a stop for dinner and frozen yogurt, which William ate every single bit of, complete with gummi bears, fruity pebbles, pineapple and strawberries on top. 

And finally on memorial day, we went to the water park- where we have bought season passes to enjoy all summer long.  It is only about 10 minutes away and William spent a few weekends there last year and loved it.   So once again, we arrived at opening and got a great spot by the kiddie area.   William shows no fear and wanted to go down the bigger slides in the kid's area.   We went down with him, but then he cried that he wanted to go down by himself, so he did, and of course fell backwards and hit his head.   Eventually he found one that moved slow though (they didn't have the water flowing well enough i don't think), so he loved that one and must have gone down it about 25 times.   He doesn't understand the concept of waiting in line for it though, so Alan and I had to take turns going up and down with him.   He had a blast and didn't want to leave, 3 hours later.   Nene came too and hung out with us for a while!  

No comments: